Lift up Christ, Love One Another, Light our World

ABOUT BWC History

History

Brockville Wesleyan Church history

On May 28th 1947 a deal was completed whereby the Central Canada Conference of The Wesleyan Methodist Church purchased the “Fairknowe Mansion” from Senator A.C. Hardy. (The building now known as the ‘Fairknowe Apartments is pictured on the right). The Conference President, Rev. S.W. Blanchard, moved his office to the building, taking up residence in one of the apartments, and served as founding Pastor of the Brockville Wesleyan Methodist Church. There were thirteen charter members. Part of the building was converted into a chapel where the first service, the wedding of the Pastor’s daughter, took place on October 4th, 1947.

(Picture of Fairknowe apartments taken in 2007)

 

Two years later the Conference office was moved to Ottawa but the Brockville congregation was by now well established. The congregation experienced numerical, spiritual, and financial growth to the point where the mortgage was paid off and a larger facility was needed. In 1956 the congregation bought the property at 33 Central Avenue West. They started to build the original building on this site in December 1957 under the leadership of Pastor Walter Jewell. The church building was completed and dedicated June 22, 1958. The main entrance was on the north side of the building facing Central Avenue and the front of the church was at the south end of the building.

(Picture taken prior 1998)

 For the next forty years the church continued to minister in that location as the city grew and expanded around it. Weekly worship services continued and other programs were added. Sunday School for all ages, CYC (Christian Youth Crusaders) for children, Youth group, Women’s Missionary Society, and involvement with Silver Lake Wesleyan Camp.
To meet a growing congregation and a need for more than one morning service, a major building project was agreed to which began in August of 1998. For over a year the people of the church worked in conjunction with Eastern Engineering and D.C. Snelling Construction to complete the project. The project turned the sanctuary one hundred and eighty degrees, relocated the main entrance to face Ferguson Drive, and added a larger vestibule, a lower level auditorium, new kitchen and nursery facilities, more Sunday School space, and new offices. A great service of dedication took place on December 5th, 1999.

Over the thirteen years since the renovation Brockville Wesleyan has sought to take an increasing role in the immediate neighborhood. A partnership with CPHC (formerly VON) was created to offer a monthly Diner’s Club  for Seniors. In 2012, the church began to host a Community Breakfast once a month which is free to all who come in on the third Saturday of every month. Children's events are also scattered throughout the year.  We are thankful for what God is doing through His people to be His hands and feet in the community.  
The current congregation worships in two services.

last update June 2017           

SidebarR